Thursday, January 21, 2010

Healing Festergut

I'm a little peeved. After a couple of wipes on Festergut due to DPS dying in initial AoE damage, suggestions came from the raid (from DPS, incidentally) that one of the two healers on tanks switch to raid. Because healing the tanks in the first couple of phases is "easy" and "nearly solo healable". Nearly solo healable ticks me off. It means I have to leave the Holy pally alone on the tank for the most part, meaning that if I get vile sprayed (which I always do, at least 4 times in the fight), there's most likely no buffer ticking on the tank (no Inspiration, no Grace stack for post-vomit Penance and a stronger renew etc).

And consequently, on the try where I gave in and switched from mostly-tank-assist with shield spam on raid to mostly-raid assist with shield on tank, the tank died. The next tank grabbed the boss. He died.

It's not because the pally isn't healing - he's healing his shiny plated hiny off. But the fact that healing on tanks gets progressively harder, doesn't mean it starts off easy. It just means that by the third inocs, at least with our guild's gear level, the tank cannot survive without Pain Suppression, followed by Shield Wall, followed by another cooldown we manage to scrounge up, and ALL the healers are helping to heal the tank. There's a balance to the healing in this fight. That balance means that as the tank needs bigger and bigger heals, the raid takes less and less damage. Don't confuse that with the tank needing very little heals to start. He does. He really does. Two dead tanks are a pretty strong argument. Of course we need the DPS alive, that's why 4 out of 6 healers are healing you, but I sincerely doubt that those that died used their full abilities to save themselves (the complaining DPSers were shammies).

So yeh. I am a peeved priest today, because as much as I hate to see anybody die, I really hate seeing my tanks die. Especially when I know they're going to die unless I'm helping to heal them, yet am unable to do so without failing my new assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment